Once you’ve been freelancing for a while, you might be wondering why you ever decided to go down this path… you might have developed a nervous tick, twitch involuntarily every time you hear the ‘ding’ of a new email message or constantly ‘miss’ incoming calls on your mobile.
If any of these things are consistently occurring for you, it’s safe to say you’re probably feeling anything less than sane right now. Sanity and working for yourself are not always mutually exclusive. In fact, working for yourself can often be described as anything but insane…
Follow the tips outlined below to stay sane and remain profitable as a freelancer.
7 Tips for Freelance Sanity and Profitability
- Schedule in your downtime. Actually, use a schedule full stop! Schedule your day, including your freelance work, other commitments plus time to play!
- Read. Whether that's reading about things in your business or reading for fun. Just make sure that you read at least 10 minutes per day. You are what you read.
- If you can, have a dedicated workspace at home, or an actual home office. This will help to keep things organised and preps your mind for work when in that space
- Practice meditation or reflection, whatever works for you. Meditate in the morning before you begin work, and reflect on your day before you go to bed, paying particular attention to all that you've achieved that day.
- Create your to-do list the night before, so that when you wake up in the morning, you can get to work straight away. Use an app that allows you to create priorities, so that you know what is most important. I use Todoist to manage my to-do list, as it allows me to colour-code and prioritise in ways that make sense to me.
- Exercise. Every day, you need to get up and move. That doesn't mean you have to hit the gym, it just means that you need to get up and move your body, whether that's going for a walk around the block, dancing or taking a class, just make sure to do something to move your body.
- Find things that make you laugh. Watch YouTube videos (but limit your time during your work hours), find funny cat memes, whatever it is that makes you laugh, try to have that experience in your day.
So, that’s how you stay sane. The profitability is a by-product. If you can stay sane, you’ll always be profitable.
Freelancing doesn’t have to drive you crazy—it should be something that you enjoy doing. So if you’re not enjoying it, why are you still doing it?
Give yourself permission to walk away from the things that don’t excite you and pursue the things that do. All too often we think we can’t have the things we want, when we can. The only thing standing in our way is our perception, our thoughts of how something should or shouldn’t be.
When you’re ready to uplevel and earn consistent income inside your freelance business, come join me over at The Hustle HQ. Inside you will discover the secrets to growing your online business and earning a consistent income without adding more to your already packed schedule. Regularly updated with new content and expert interviews, you will learn to earn more and still have time to do the things you love.
So don’t be the thing that gets in your own way! Get out of the way, do the things that make you happy and keep moving forward.
Do you have a tip or comment you’d like to share? Leave your thoughts below!